Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Face

"Mom, come quick, there's a face on the carpet."

"Okay, I'm coming." I get down on my hands and knees and stare at the spot my son is pointing at. Sure enough, there is a face on the carpet. Not only is there a face but a perfect little round head that obviously should have a body attached. Upon realizing the face is the face of his brothers' hamster he begins to cry.

"Don't cry Matt."

"Where is the rest of him, Mom?" "How can he run in his ball now?"

"I am sorry son, but his running days are over. I am sure he is in hamster heaven."

"How can he be, his head is on the carpet!" "You can't go to heaven without your head, where is the rest of him?"

As a result of Matt's crying, Craig Jr., Dave and Rob join us on the floor. Realizing their hamster is no longer with us (most of him anyway) they all begin to cry and demand an explanation. Our cat walks slowly to the center of our circle and with one quick swipe sends the head rolling across the carpet to the wall.

The boys start screaming and running in all directions. The screaming sends the cat to a quick exit out the backdoor.

Retrieving the head I place it in a small box. "I am sorry boys but the hamster must have got out of his cage and the cat was trying to put him back and hurt him." "But where is the rest of him?" "Okay" I quess they have to know the truth. "Cats eat mice and hamsters for food if they can't get to the store for cat food and that is a mouse and hamsters job, to be eaten by cats and they probably don't mind." "Maybe they do but these things happen and I am sure the kitty is sorry."

As they sit quietly thinking about my explanation, I give thanks that cats can't smile. Satisfied with my explanation the four of them take the box and file out the backdoor one by one to give the head a proper burial.

No comments: