Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Middle School Blues

Some of the greatest challenges in my life have been when my sons reached the seventh grade. Somewhere between Kindergarten and seventh grade there comes out of these little bodies a new person. This person isn't always someone that you like, this new person doesn't believe you know anything. He believes that you should spend half of your life at the school on his behalf talking to the vice-principal.

When you have four sons that go through the same school, everyone remembers you. They see you on the street and they point at you and laugh. I know now that I would have my sons attend different schools then no one would know who I was.

I don't know about other vice-principals but my sons principal always started our meetings in a positive manner. He would tell me what wonderful sons I had, what fine young men they were and I always asked, then why am I here if I have such wonderful sons. Where are these wonderful sons? "Mrs. Cameron, your son was kicked out of class for drawing a picture." "Drawing a picture!" I could not believe it, this horrible child of mine could not have done such a thing. "Was it his Art Class?" I asked. "No, Mrs. Cameron it was not!"

At this point I started to get nervous, my son had done this awful thing, could he have drawn a bad picture, maybe a picture of someone with out their clothes on.

The principal stared at me as he pushed the picture face down across the desk, my hands began to shake as I reached out and slowly turned the picture over., Oh, my gosh, children were bringing guns and knives to school, drinking alcohol, getting high on drugs and I was sitting in the principlals office looking across at a man who was totally upset that my son had drawn a picture of Goofy in class.

Granted there were times I did belong in the Principals office but this was not on of them. I decided either he did not like my son or he liked me.

No comments: